Instilling Good Values in Young Children


Photo of my daughter worshipping, candidly shot by a friend (Cathy M)

Kids are never too young to be taught valuable lessons and character.

And one of the good values that I would like our children to learn is being faithful in honoring the Lord's day - Sunday.

You see, when we were young our Mom strictly enforced that the only reason to not attend church is when one is bedridden and couldn't walk anymore. That has been my guiding rule ever since, especially now that I have a family of my own and young children to raise.

There are times though that I get questioned about this stand. Such instances happen whenever I bring the kids to church even when they are under the weather; or if I am the one who is sick. I remember the time when I just gave birth - even if our baby was less than a week old, I still insisted that we go to church the first Sunday right after birth. The toughest to justify was when my eldest daughter got hit by a motorcycle on our way home (commute) from church - Bella was unharmed, thank God! Sadly, I always take a lot of flak for this unpopular decision.

In truth, these setbacks are nothing compared to the strong life testimony of some brethren in our local church - most of whom are senior citizens, the elderly, and persons with disabilities. Others literally can't walk! Yet, they manage to attend every single Sunday, without fail.

My dad's testimony also comes to mind. One fateful Sunday, he was unusually so slow to get ready for Sunday service (our mom even badgered him incessantly because we were running late already). Unbeknownst to us, he was already having a mild stroke at that time! Yet, he didn't say a word. He still prepared for church. He even endured going up a considerable long flight of stairs (our church is on the 3rd floor) without telling us he was having a stroke. He had to be rushed to the hospital in the middle of the worship service. When asked why he still endeavored to go to church that day despite not feeling well, he sincerely answered, "Jesus first".

Now, knowing all these, I can not think of any valid excuse for me to skip Sunday service. Can you?

This lesson is what I hope to instill in our young children. It is my fervent prayer that through example our children grow up to be God-fearing kids, spiritual values inherently ingrained in their characters. I would be comforted in the thought that when I am old and sickly, they would be the one to push me (literally!) to go to church every single Sunday ☺️

___
“Start children off on the way they should go, and even when they are old they will not turn from it.” ~ Proverbs 22:6


Comments

Popular Posts