A VBAC Journey in Malaysia



VBAC moments: early stage of labour


I have never thought I could really do it, but yes, I had a successful VBAC attempt.

For many months after I gave birth via Cesarean section last 2011, I started to do extensive research on VBAC here in Malaysia and in the Philippines as well. Resources were few. It is my hope that this post helps other moms like me who wish to be given a chance to attempt a normal birth after their (quite saddening) C-sect.

Here is my successful VBAC story:

I started having contractions when I woke up Friday morning (Sept 27) though it was very far apart (maybe about 30min) I just knew they were labour contractions already since it was very strong. I even correctly guessed I was again having a posterior (sunny side up) baby again huhu due to the painful back labour i was having. 

That day was also my 38th week check up. My kind OB told me the baby was indeed in posterior so she didn't do VE yet to check my dilation. And that baby was measuring abt 3.3kg already - another oh-oh. I am a small framed lady, 45kg and just 5'2" in height. I was constantly reminded to have a diet so baby won't grow big inside since I'm attempting vbac and so diet I did. I only gained less than 10kg all throughout this pregnancy but baby still just grows big inside.
Anyway OB told me to go back on my 40th week, but inside I thought "see you tomorrow Dr" bcoz I was just so sure I am to give birth either that night or the day after.

Indeed for the whole day, my contractions progressed closer apart. But I got stuck at 7minutes apart. I even asked this group about what is the best time to go to hospital hehe and was advised 7min is still too far apart. I agree since my eldest child I went to hosp at 5min apart contraction and was csect. So I want to delay as much as I could. Besides, it is true that it is much better to labour at home.

Come Saturday morning (after a whole day of strong contractions) I was still at 7minutes

apart, contractions lasted for 1.5min though and were really strong. I almost can't manage the pain anymore so decided to be brought to the hospital at 7 am Saturday.

Upon arriving at Pusrawi hospital, I was so glad to see that the labour room was sooo plain and lacking with scary equipment. A far cry from my experience with my first labour. And I was able to move around, not strapped to the hospital bed. My, it was much better and manageable to labour moving around! When The nurse did her 1st VE, am so grateful and encouraged to learn that I was 6cm already! (1st birth I got stuck at 4cm despite being painfully induced with Pitocin, thus the Csect)
The labouring at home paid off! Please note that my contractions were still 7min apart but dilation was already at 6cm. My Lesson learn contractions interval does not indicate dilation.

I was able to eat an drink, move around, had intermittent monitoring only. I was managing my breathing and pain more comfortably as seen on the pic. I relaxed my jaw all the time and even try to smile. I was I tune with my body and NEVER did I worry about my csect scar being ruptured.

I had painful back labour contractions so I was tempted to ask for epidural (even though I was aware it would lessen my chance to vbac) but thank goodness I was 8cm then so was not given epidural yehey!
I was fully dilated after only 5hrs but had active labour for one hour bcoz baby was big and in the posterior position. I had episiotomy and baby had to be vacuumed out (w/no epidural it was so painful) but I was willing to do anything to vbac. 

The baby was born after one hour of pushing, 3.45k and 55cm long (big for me indeed!)All thanks to my kind OB from Pusrawi Hospital KL - Dr Nor Fidak. 

I will be updating the list here of Doctors both in Malaysia and the Philippines who are VBAC-friendly, as well as their affiliated hospitals. You may also send me messages for further questions.


Tags: VBAC, Pusrawi Hospital, Cesarean Section 

Comments

Popular Posts